My Blog List

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review of Fifth 1813 Campaign




Phases in Fifth 1813 Campaign

There have been five stages of the 1813 campaign since it started in April 2009.  

Stage 1 – solo campaign April 2009 to October 2009
Stage 2 – PBEM campaign October 2009 to July 2013
Stage 3 – PBEM campaign July 2013 to March 2015
Stage 4 – PBEM campaign March 2015 to February 2016
Stage 5 – Solo campaign February 2016 to May 2020

The basic campaign is designed to produce interesting wargames, and has not changed at all throughout this period.   It was designed from the tabletop up, and the whole mapping system reflects this.

The campaign rules were written to support this concept, as were the wargame rules.   Both have been revised throughout this period, but changed little.   The basic rules provide the type of wargames we like to play and have stood the test of time.   The campaign has produced 312 battles to wargame.

The campaign is a full time operation requiring updating most days.   There is always a battle being fought on the wargames table.   So it is not surprising that it is a constantly changing project.   But only in minor detail.

However every so often a major review is required.  Stage 2 when I decided to change from solo to PBEM campaign.   Stage 3 was when the campaign diary reached the end of 1813, and I experimented with 1814.   Stage 4 was return to 1813.   Stage 5 was to convert back to solo campaign.

Each review was to update a tired campaign to meet a new challenge.  With such a full on project it is not surprising that I ran out of steam after two to four years.  

The current stage has lasted four years.   During that period we have played 21 phases, each a stand-alone mini campaign.   We have also fought 98 wargames.   There have been relatively few rule changes, either to the campaign or the wargame rules.   However it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a fresh approach to each new phase.   So I feel that it is time for Stage 6.

Over the past four months I have been experimenting with ways to improve the campaign experience.  As it is a solo campaign I only have to please my wife and myself.  And as I do all of the administration of the campaign, I really only have to please myself.

The review is not yet complete, but I have to halt the current campaign to make time to test out the new concept.  

The 1813 campaign will continue, but it may be a while before I am ready to continue the diary blog.   If you would like to follow the progress of the review you should follow the link below:


No comments:

Post a Comment